Job title: Senior Lighting Designer
Closing Date: 16/9/2021
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants, and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
We offer a comprehensive lighting design service, from initial strategic advice and concept development through to construction documents and on-site support for all markets worldwide. Lighting at Arup brings together art, science, and technology. Our team of designers create expressive, sustainable and award-winning concepts with light. We understand the interplay of structural form and lighting and work with architects and artists to provide authentic conceptual designs. Our technical knowledge ensures that concepts become viable solutions. We also know how lighting affects people at work, at home, at school, and at play. This equips us to shape solutions that are as positive for people as they are sustainable for the environment and for businesses. Arup’s commitment to sustainability drives a creative approach to the application of state-of-art technology.
The candidates will play a pivotal role in increasing Arup’s already successful lighting business in the UK and abroad. With a keen interest in lighting design and technology, the candidate will support the technical development of the local lighting team capabilities and support the lighting teams nationally in the delivery of projects.
The candidate will have a proven track record in the design and delivery of technical lighting solutions. With an appreciation and aptitude for architectural lighting design the successful candidate will also have a technical appreciation for electrical requirements associated with lighting. This will include good knowledge of different lighting control system topologies, with a keen desire to understand and develop their knowledge further.
The candidate will have the potential to progress grow the Arup service offering within the region. Their role will entail:
- Producing lighting designs, sketches, graphical output drawings, specifications, artwork designs, proposals, design reports, lighting calculations, and technical lighting control schematics.
- Attending meetings with clients and collaborators.
- Producing specifications and technical reports, environmental impact assessments, and coordinating the work of others.
- Producing detailed design drawings, bespoke luminaire design, and detailing the integration of lighting into architecture.
- Communicating with clients to establish their needs, and maintaining a dialogue throughout the project.
- Supervising and coordinating the work of other team members and coordinating work with building professionals of other disciplines.
- Providing technical guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team
- Requirements and skills
The candidate will possess the following requirements:
- Degree in lighting design, electrical engineering, architecture, or related relevant discipline, preferably with professional qualification(s) in Lighting. A background in landscape architecture would be beneficial;
- Proven experience in the successful delivery of lighting projects of all types, a fundamental appreciation of lighting consultancy as a technical service;
- Experience of working with different lighting control technologies and topologies, detail specification and tender of complex lighting control systems;
- Lighting design experience in the European lighting industry is essential, within the UK would be beneficial;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Good at planning and organising.
Different people, shared values
At Arup we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all backgrounds.
At Arup we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best.
At Arup we appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
Rewards and Benefits – We care about you and want you to perform at your best. As a result, we offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector click here to find out more!
What Happens Next?
All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application. Once we’ve reviewed your application, we’ll get in touch for a short telephone interview if we’d like to take things further. Whether your application is successful or not, you’ll always hear back from us.
Stay safe online – Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.
Click here to apply