Senior or Principal Lighting Designer, ITS, Manchester or Birmingham
About the Role
At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
We are looking for a creative and technically knowledgeable Senior Architectural Lighting Designer with fully rounded lighting design experience and skills. The opportunity and role will lead into the development of a second hub base in Manchester, linking to our creative
lighting business. Ideally the successful candidate would have international experience working both in the UK and overseas and be able to run projects from concept to completion with a passion for lighting design.
The Senior Lighting Designer is responsible for collaboration with the architect, interior designer, client and electrical engineer to create a complete lighting design complete with fixture selection and controls. Lighting design will primarily be limited to front of house spaces and building façade. This position involves attending design meetings, creating lighting designs for the clients, recommending and selecting fixtures, and preparing and presenting submittal packages to clients. Other responsibilities would involve working closely with the internal
estimating, engineering and other departments.
A typical week would include:
• Working within a team environment to produce concept and detailed design packages, including AutoCAD plans and design details, specifications and schedules, build mock-ups, prepare sketch design proposals and liaise with architects, interior designers, and equipment
• Attend design and site meetings.
• Supervise the work of lighting designers within the team and contribute creatively and technically to projects including research where appropriate.
• Produce accurate, efficient, creative and coordinated lighting design utilizing internal and external sources.
• Conduct ongoing analyses of fixture packages to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for optimal product and pricing selections.
• Develop and mentor Assistant lighting designers.
• Provide excellent customer service, attending client meetings during all phases of the project life cycle and assisting in the selection and approval process while remaining budget-conscience.
• Create and submit thorough fixture submittal packages based on customer specifications utilizing internal resources.
• Act as a liaison between the client/architect and engineering departments.
• Building local client links to increase the architectural lighting portfolio.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
• Professional independent lighting design experience
• A portfolio of work that demonstrates both creative and technical knowledge and skills associated to lighting design
• IT skills including Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, InDesign, Photoshop, AGi32, DIALux and 3D software
• Proficient with lighting calculations utilizing lighting modeling software.
• Knowledge of the architectural and engineering design process.
• Ability to multitask in a high volume, fast paced work environment with very tight deadlines.
• Extensive knowledge of product lines, pricing of lighting fixtures and lamps, and lighting control systems required.
• Excellent written and spoken English.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as
part of your application.
Be you, be happy – we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
A little about us:
WSP is one of the world’s leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK. We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment,
industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.